It’s become a little tradition for us to document my growing baby bump each pregnancy. I’m really glad we’ve done it – because though we started it for ourselves, just so we would remember and could show family – it’s become something our kids really love looking at. I really want to get my act together and print out a full collage for each kiddo to put in their baby books. It’s amazing to me how much my body has changed each pregnancy and then gone back to normal again – I feel like every part of baby’s journey is such an amazing miracle.
So now that i’ve done this 3 times, i thought i’d share with you a few tips!
- Choose a consistent & maintainable backdrop. You are going to be taking these photos for 9 months, so you need to make sure you can keep your backdrop the whole time. We used the plainest wall in our house, and removed all the pictures when we were taking photos.
- Keep each picture the same size. An easy way to do this is to make sure whoever is taking your photos is standing at the same distance from you every time (We measured each time).
- Set a regular time to take your photos, and then give yourself a break! For my first two diaries i tried to take photos once a week, which was kind of a disaster because who has that kind of consistency? not me :) This time round we made it the first week of every month, it was easy to remember and a much more maintainable interval. And even then, we missed one month when i was really morning sick – but such is life right?
- Use some photo editing software. You don’t need photoshop, there are some free programs like GIMP, or even Picasa that allow you to edit your photos a bit. You may need to adjust the lighting a bit to make your photos consistent. I also like to crop them a little, and use photoshop to edit out picture hooks on the wall. I made this diary black and white because i think i think it always looks a bit more emotive, and it helped disguise the fact the lighting wasn’t perfectly consistent in each shot.
- Wear the same outfit. But choose wisely! You need to make sure that whatever you wear will still fit in 9 months time. The last two times i’ve done this diary i just used super stretchy tops – but this time i decided to make my own top using my Ruched maternity top sewing pattern. I’m really glad i did because it worked sooooo much better! The last times it was kinda hard to fit the tops over my full term belly, but this time it was a breeze. I don’t know why i didn’t think of using my own design before – so silly!
So did any of you do baby bump diaries for your pregnancies? Or have a favourite? For some other ideas about how to record your growing bump check out our post about DIY pregnancy photo series!