A little while ago I found this pretty pale pink mens shirt in the thrift store – I loved the colour so much, and wanted to make something really pretty with it. I’m a huge fan of babydoll dresses and tops as maternity wear, so I thought why not try something similar with a button up? And so the Button up Babydoll top was born!
I love how it turned out and I think it’s sooooo cute! Definitely a maternity staple – so let’s make one!
– Men’s button up shirt, a few sizes larger than your equivalent size on women’s wear
– a favourite button shirt of yours, that fits your bust well – to use as a template.
1) Try on your shirt and mark where it hits under your bust. Add on seam allowance (it’s up to you how much this is, but i used 1/2″), and then cut the shirt at this point
2) Lay your guide shirt on top, use it to cut the larger shirt down to size (make sure you leave seam allowance!)
3) Do the same with the sleeves – but be very careful here! I made mine a little too small, and i regretted it!
4) Sew the side seams of the top and the sleeves and then re-attach the sleeves
5) Gather the bottom of the shirt by setting your sewing machine to it’s longest stitch length and sewing all the way around the raw edge. Then holding the fabric stationary in one hand, use the other hand to pull on a loose thread and gather the fabric.
6) Open up the top of your shirt, and lay it flat (As flat as you can get it) with the right side facing upwards. Then lay the bottom of the shirt on top with right sides together and even out the gathers, making sure that you match up the side seams. Sew the seam.
7) If you’re a neat freak like me, then you may also like to topstitch this seam
8) Don’t forget to iron! Pressing your seams properly is often the difference between something looking homemade or professional.
9) Pay attention to your buttons. My seam unfortunately landed right on top of a button so i had to take it off and make a new button hole.
10) The very last thing i did was to move the buttons on the wrist cuffs so that they could be made tighter.
And that’s it!!! Wear and enjoy!!