I found a great maternity crossover tee on pinterest and decided to recreate it. I love the look of crossover tees, and they are perfect for nursing access. I realized that it would be a really easy to combine the Cara Maternity Tshirt Sewing Pattern and the Alissa Maternity Top Sewing Pattern to make a crossover tee. I love this tee and have worn it a ton already.
1.5 yards of fabric
- Get the front pattern pieces of both the Cara tshirt and the Alissa top. Overlap the Alissa top over the Cara tshirt.
- Layer a piece of tracing paper over the pattern pieces.
- Trace the neckline of the Alissa top and the side and hem of the Cara tshirt. Mark the center front at the neckline and the hem.
- Mark a notch on the side just under the armpit.
- If your tracing paper isn’t wide enough, tape some paper to the edge.
- Fold the tracing paper on the center front line of the top, and draw the other side of the top. Make sure you transfer the markings.
- This is the new front pattern piece. Cut out two opposite pieces of fabric. Use the rest of the Cara tshirt pattern pieces to cut out the rest of the shirt: two sleeves and a back.
- Sew the shoulders together on the front and back pieces.
- Hem the neckline and then each hem individually: the two fronts and the back. Press well.
- Sew on the sleeves.
- Match up the notches and dots on the fronts and pin. Add the gathering stitch between the dots on the sides. Gather and sew the sides together.
- Tack the seam allowance towards the back.
Enjoy your new top!