I love this simple maternity DIY. This top started off as a men’s dress shirt, (in fact it’s the shirt my husband wore on our very first date). I couldn’t bear to part with it. But I’ve been feeling a little lazy and tired so I wanted to make my life easy.
What you’ll need:
- A men’s button shirt that’s big enough to cover your bump
- 1/2″ wide elastic
What to do:
- Put on the shirt and find the empire waist (just under your bust) and mark it with some pins.
- Then measure under your bust (empire waistline) and removed an inch from the measurement.
- Cut a piece of elastic that length, and attach it to the inside of the shirt at the empire waistline by stretching as you sew and using a zig zag stitch on your machine.
- That’s it! Roll up the sleeves and you’re good to go!! (Though after a while I got a little tired of the bulk of the cuff, so I removed the cuff and reattached it at the point I had been rolling the sleeves to)
I really think this top turned out amazingly, and has a really relaxed chic look to it. Here’s how it looked when my bump got bigger
You’ve got to try this one! It took no time at all, and is for sure a beginner level sewing project.