I’ve gotten a tonne of emails in the past about easy nursing wardrobe solutions, so I figure it’s about time to do a post about one of my simplest tricks.
I loved nursing my daughter, but my daughter has always been a squirmer, and I’m a very modest person so it stressed me out beyond belief that it was so hard to nurse discreetly with my regular wardrobe. Either I needed a HUGE array of nursing tops & dresses or I needed some easy solution. Now don’t get me wrong, I did make myself a whole lot of nursing tops (and LOVED them – you can get the sewing pattern I drafted here), and I’ve made even more this time round, but sometimes you want a cheaper quicker solution. If that’s you then this is the perfect project for you.
- Find an old cami (or a new one of you’re that way inclined!) and try it on.
- Mark the bust points (I’m not going to elaborate on what I mean by bust point, as I don’t want to sound crude – you can figure it out )
- Take off your cami and find something round that’s about 3 inches in diameter (I used a small glass, but a cookie cutter or something similar would also be perfect)
- Lay the cami flat and place the glass over one of the marks you made so that the mark is at the centre of the circle. Use some tailors chalk or a light pencil to trace the circle.Repeat for the other bust point.
- Take a pair of scissors and cut out the circles.
- Voila!! That’s it!
- Then wear your cami under any top (and maybe some dresses). I promise you it will make it so much easier to nurse discreetly. No worrying that you are showing your belly if you lift your shirt, or too must breast if you are pulling down the neckline.
Now of course if you are a sew-aholic and you really feel the need to neaten up the edges you could serge/overlock them with same colour thread. But it’s not really necessary for functionality as tshirt/jersey fabric doesn’t fray.